Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Not Enough Courage Yet

I recently made a video of me watching Evan Almighty and laughing at all the wrong times. I thought it was pretty funny. But I also thought The Big Hit was hilarious. So.

It's pretty long for what it is. I think four minutes. That's a long time to be watching some guy laugh hysterically at an unfunny film. But its quality is just that, that cinema verite, neorealism feel to it. One take, no movement of the camera. It's like a Robert Bresson comedy, but even more spiritual.

So, really, what makes anything funny? If I show people a video of my friend Travis singing one of his favorite songs ("Clint Eastwood" - Gorillaz) in the car, would they think it's funny? Pretty much no. But I wouldn't stop laughing. Because he's German. Well, I wasn't going to get into a discourse on what comedy is, so let's just say it's Tragedy + Time - Logic x Something Funny.

Special thanks! to: the inventors of "you know," "I mean," "you know what I mean," and "pretty" as an adverb.

Musician Dan Deacon is a funny one.

No comments: